What is a 30 day challenge?
A 30 day challenge is an opportunity to make a change to your lifestyle that you commit to sticking with for 30 days. It gives you a chance to experiment with a life change you’ve been thinking about, without pressuring yourself to change indefinitely. It involves either doing, or not doing something, different from your normal routine every day during the 30 day period.
Why is this the perfect time for a 30 day challenge?
A 30 day challenge is a way for you to gain some control over your circumstances. As life is changing day by day in the world we live in, many of us are filled with anxiety about what may happen next. A 30 day challenge gives us an opportunity to commit to a healthy habit for a month because we want to. With a change in routine, it gives you a chance to step outside your comfort zone.
In a normal time, I’d recommend only trying one 30 day challenge a month. During the Covid-19 pandemic, why not try two or three? If you are a person who is self-isolating, or habitating in place because of state mandate, this is a perfect opportunity to incorporate some healthy habits into your (new) routine.
Examples of 30 Day Challenges
Here are some examples of 30 day challenges you can try:
- Follow a plant-based diet
- Quit a bad habit
- No alcohol
- Listen to a book –Audible Books
- No eating out or food deliveries
- Take daily walks
- Drink 16 oz of water daily
- Complete a kind act for someone daily
- Work out for 30 minutes daily
- Write in a journal every morning –Writing Journals
- No frivolous purchases
- Write down what you spend every day
- Meditate every day for 10 minutes
- Clean one room every day –Home Organization Guides
- Write down what you are thankful for
- Read for 30 minutes to an hour –100 Hot Books
- Learn a new skill – Learn how to play chess from Uptight Puppy
- No caffeine
- Spend time outdoors
- Hug somebody
- Follow a keto diet
- Try a side-hustle
- Design a morning routine and follow it every morning
- Write a blog or Facebook post every day
- Take a picture every day (and post it on Instragram)
- Send a positive message to a friend or family member every day
At the end of your experiment, you may decide to incorporate some healthy habits into your life permanently. Look for ones that ease your anxiety, create safe havens mentally for you, and help you to find a new normal. A 30 day challenge is a proven strategy for implementing new healthy habits in life.
A 30 day challenge is a great way to experiment with what works for you and what doesn’t. What better time to do it than now?
Matt D’Avella has a Youtube channel you can watch to learn about his experiences with 30 day challenges. He’s a minimalist who made the documentary Minimalism, and has some pretty great videos to peruse. Check out his channel!